White Grass Ranch
After starting as a cattle ranch in 1913, the 320-acre White Grass Ranch helped set the standards for dude ranches in the growing western tourism industry. Through the 1930s, the facilities were expanded in a style referred to as “dude ranch vernacular.” The property was purchased by the National Park Service in 1956, but it continued to operate as a dude ranch through 1985, when ownership transferred to Grand Teton National Park. In 1990, the White Grass Dude Ranch Historic District, which includes 30 acres and 13 log buildings, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
The White Grass Dude Ranch serves as the Western Center for Historic Preservation's seasonal training campus. As the center's central rehabilitation project since 2005, the ranch will ultimately provide lodging for training events, office space, and communal dining facilities.