Jackson Lake Lodge
In 2003, before it was 50 years old, Jackson Lake Lodge was designated a National Historic Landmark for its architecture and its association with historic events. Yellowstone Superintendent Horace Albright escorted John D. Rockefeller, Jr. up what is now “Lunch Tree Hill” in 1926. Inspired by the view, Rockefeller purchased land he later donated to expand Grand Teton National Park. Rockefeller funded construction of Jackson Lake Lodge on land that included Lunch Tree Hill to serve the explosion of middle class park vacationers. Gilbert Stanley Underwood, noted for his log buildings in other parks, designed the lodge in the modern International Style, making a clear break with traditional rustic park architecture. Completed in 1955, thousands of tourists and four presidents (Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Clinton) have visited in the ensuing decades. In 1989, on the terrace in front of the lodge, Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze and U.S. Secretary of State James Baker concluded U.S.-Soviet talks by signing a statement of peace and friendship at a lodgepole pine table made in the lodge carpenter shop. The “Peace Table” now sits on the second floor landing.