The first recorded burial in what became known as Kane Cemetery took place in 1903, three years after the nearby Mormon community of Iona was settled. Named for rancher Riley Kane, the town of Kane, located south of the confluence of the Bighorn and Shoshone rivers, was the trading center and railroading depot for homesteaders in the Dryhead and Crooked Creek areas by 1910. Until a bridge was built in the 1930s, the Kane Ferry was the only way to cross the river between Greybull and the canyon. However, both the town and the cemetery, which is located north of the Shoshone River, were on the land purchased by the Bureau of Reclamation in 1965 to construct the Yellowtail Dam. The town was largely abandoned because it would be partially inundated when the reservoir reaches its highest level, but the cemetery lies above the flood zone. The inscriptions on the stones provide insights into the history of the area.