Research in Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area

Scientific researchers are permitted to use Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area as their study site. All research done in the park requires a permit. The park’s resource management division is responsible for issuing and tracking research permits, and provides support to permitted researchers in the park. Each permit application undergoes a formal, standard process for research permit review and issuance. Permitted researchers study everything from archeology to zoology in Bighorn Canyon. All are required to submit an annual report of their study progress and results. These Investigators’ Annual Reports are then entered into the National Park Service’s Research Permit and Reporting System, a searchable database that is available for public use. A list of research needs in Bighorn Canyon can be found on the website of the Rocky Mountains Cooperative Ecosystem Studies Unit.