Cinnabar, MT Town Site

The Northern Pacific Railroad established Cinnabar in 1883 as the last stop on its branch line to Yellowstone National Park, and caused its abandonment after the railroad was extended to the park boundary in 1903. The ranching area in which the town was located became part of the park in 1932. Nothing remains of Cinnabar today except archeological evidence from which can be learned something about the use of the area by prehistoric people as well as its 19th century residents.