Roosevelt Lodge

Indians, fur trappers, and explorers on the Bannock Trail camped in the area where Lost Creek reaches sagebrush flats after meandering down the slope of Prospect Peak through lodgepole pines and Douglas fir  toward the Yellowstone River. So did two presidents of the United States: Chester Arthur in 1893 and Theodore Roosevelt 20 years later. In 1906, the Wylie Permanent Camping Company built a tent camp there that became known as “Camp Roosevelt.” The tents were later replaced by a lodge and cabins, and the name was officially changed to “Roosevelt Lodge” in 1950.