Early settlers in Jackson Hole, J. Pierce and Margaret Cunningham built their homestead cabin between 1888 and 1890, and began the process of “proving up” in order to gain rights to 160 acres under the Homestead Act of 1862. Their “dog-trot” style cabin, with two saddle-notched log boxes on the ends joined by a common roof creating an open breezeway in the middle, is typical of early dwellings in Jackson Hole and illustrates the adaption of this Appalachian building style to the mountain west where one or both sides of the open area were enclosed to adjust for weather and wind conditions. By 1895 the Cunninghams built a new ranch house on the property and the cabin was then used as a barn and smithy. The property typifies the hardships of early homesteaders.