Beaver Creek #10
The original park headquarters building, designated Beaver Creek #10 in park records, is an excellent example of Rustic architecture, a style epitomized by National Park System buildings that harmonize with their surroundings. Beaver Creek #10 started as two individual buildings known as the Stewart Ranger Station, constructed by forest ranger Al Austin before 1908, on the Teton National Forest– the entity that first protected the center of the Teton Range. The two buildings were joined together before 1929, when the building transferred to the National Park Service with the creation of Grand Teton National Park. In 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps made substantial alterations to the building adding three rooms, modifying the roof, and enhancing the Rustic architecture with “beaver tail cut” log ends. A final major addition in 1956 added two rooms of board and batten frame construction onto the northwest corner. Beaver Creek #10 served a variety of uses through the years from ranger station, residence, park headquarters, to administration and office building. The significance of Beaver Creek #10 extends well beyond its architecture to its embodiment of the development and growth of Grand Teton National Park.