Yellowstone Lake Fish Hatchery

People began stocking western high-elevation lakes with fish in the 1800s. Hatchery operations at Yellowstone Lake became part of this undertaking when fish hatched from Yellowstone’s trout were used to stock waters in the park and elsewhere, sportfishing was promoted to encourage park visitation, and satisfying a recreational interest took precedence over protection of the park’s natural ecology. Built in 1930 by the National Park Service’s Landscape Engineering and Architecture Division, the hatchery’s log-framed design is also an example of the period of rustic architectural design in national parks.